Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992

Business, Finance and Real Estate

Real Estate Broker or Property Manager

Real estate licences allow holders to practice in 1 or more areas. They can help clients sell, buy, lease, or manage residential, commercial, or rural properties.


Real Estate Council of Alberta (RECA)
202 - 1506 11 Ave. SW
Calgary, Alberta T3C 0M9

Call: 403-228-2954
Call toll-free: 1-888-425-2754
Fax: 403-228-3065


Under Alberta’s Real Estate Act [pdf] and Real Estate Exemption Regulation [pdf], you must hold a real estate licence from the Real Estate Council of Alberta (RECA) to trade in real estate or engage in property management.

What You Need

There are 3 classes of real estate licences:

  • Real estate associate
  • Real estate associate broker
  • Real estate broker

Property managers are a subset of real estate, and hold a real estate licence.

To apply for a real estate associate licence, applicants must:

  • Be at least 18 years old
  • Have a high school diploma or equivalent
  • Demonstrate English proficiency
  • Complete the Real Estate Career Information Session
  • Complete the Real Estate Associates Program (REAP)
  • Provide a certified criminal record check
  • Be employed by a licensed real estate brokerage

REAP consists of the Fundamentals of Real Estate and a course in at least 1 of these practice areas:

  • Commercial
  • Property management
  • Residential
  • Rural

Property managers must complete the property management course.

To apply for a real estate associate broker licence, applicants must:

  • Complete the Real Estate Brokers Program
  • Hold a licence in all 4 real estate practice areas

Associate brokers have all the knowledge of a broker, but are not in charge of their own real estate brokerage.

To apply for a real estate broker licence, applicants must:

  • Complete the educational requirements for associate broker
  • Have at least 2 years of licensed work experience within the last 5 years

Brokers are responsible for real estate brokerages.

For official, detailed information about requirements, visit the RECA website.

Working in Alberta

Real estate brokers or property managers who are certified by and in good standing with a regulatory organization elsewhere in Canada may be eligible for certification in Alberta.

For more information, see What if I am already certified in another province or territory in Canada? and the RECA website.

The certification information in this profile may change at any time and without notice. Before making any career decisions, we advise you to contact the regulatory organization or visit their website for the most updated information.

Was this page useful?