Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992

Health and Social Services


Veterinarians diagnose animal illnesses, treat diseased and injured animals, perform surgery and dentistry, provide preventive medical services and provide advice regarding the care and breeding of animals, food safety and security and public health.


Alberta Veterinary Medical Association
Building #3, Elm Business Park
Suite 104, 9452-51 Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta 
Canada  T6E 5A6
Phone number: 780-489-5007
Toll-free phone number: 1-800-404-2862
Fax number: 780-484-8311


Under Alberta's Veterinary Profession Act and General Regulation, only registered veterinary members of the Alberta Veterinary Medical Association (ABVMA) may call themselves or practice as Veterinarians. However, animal health technologists may provide veterinary services under the supervision of a Registered Veterinarian.

What You Need

Registration requires successful completion of: (1) an approved Doctor of Veterinary Medicine program and (2) the North American Veterinary Licensing Examination (NAVLE). Graduates from non-accredited universities must complete a Basic Clinical Skills Exam, Clinical Competency Exam and the NAVLE. All applicants require a Certificate of Qualification from the Canadian Veterinary Medical Association. For official, detailed information about registration requirements, visit the ABVMA website or contact ABVMA.

Working in Alberta

Veterinarians who are registered by and in good standing with a regulatory organization elsewhere in Canada may be eligible for registration in Alberta if registered veterinarians in the two jurisdictions have similar responsibilities and competencies. For more information, see "What if I am already certified in another province or territory?" and the Alberta regulatory authority (below).

The certification information in this profile may change at any time and without notice. Before making any career decisions, we advise you to contact the regulatory organization or visit their website for the most updated information.

Was this page useful?