When you know yourself, you can plan your career and education based on what's important to you: your interests, abilities, values and experiences.
There was an error. Please try again.
This page is already listed in your guide. Please choose a different page to add.
English as an Additional Language
Grant MacEwan Universitywww.macewan.ca
MacEwan University inspires students with a powerful combination of academic excellence and personal learning experiences - ours is a connected culture that focuses on learner-centred teaching, and on providing opportunities for students to grow and achieve.
The university provides a transformative education in a collaborative and supportive environment where creativity and innovation thrive. Faculties focus on teaching, and many are also engaged in ground-breaking, internationally-recognized research and scholarly and artistic activity that enhances their teaching and the curriculum - and creates opportunities for student involvement in research.
The university offers a broad complement of programs comprised of bachelor and applied degrees, diplomas and certificates. Faculties and schools offer programming in fine arts and communications; health and community studies; liberal arts and sciences; and business.
Office of the University Registrar,
Building 7, 10700 - 104 Avenue NW
Edmonton, Alberta, T5J 4S2, Canada
Program Type Second Language Learning
Credential Type Non-Credential
Length 1 Year or Less
- Part Time Only
- Cooperative Education
- Continuing Education
- Distance Learning
Students under 18 years of age are not accepted except with special permission.
Domestic applicants must:
- be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada
- have achieved a score of at least CLB 5 or IELTS 5.0, or equivalent
International applicants must:
- have a valid study permit
- have achieved a score of at least IELTS 5.0, or equivalent
- have a high school diploma with a minimum overall average of 60%, with no grade lower than 50%, in the following high school courses:
- Four subjects from group A, B, C or D courses
- Applicants are strongly encouraged to present a broad range of subjects in order to benefit from the breadth of learning and to increase flexibility of future program and course choices
- A maximum of two Group B subjects may be presented; they must be from different disciplines
- A maximum of one Group D subject may be presented. Group D subjects used for admission must be 5-credit or any combination of at least 5 credits (e.g., two 3-credit subjects)
Student Financial Support
For Canadian citizens or permanent residents, funding may be available for tuition and/or living support.
For core courses and focus courses:
- Contact the EAL office for pre-advising.
- Apply at www.macewan.ca/EAL and pay the nonrefundable application fee. Print the receipt.
- Once accepted to the program, call the EAL office to arrange a time for a placement test. Once you have done the placement test, an advising meeting will be booked to discuss your results and course placement. When your courses are selected you can go online to enrol in your classes.
International students may also apply directly to the English as an Additional Language program. For more information, visit www.macewan.ca/EAL. (Students studying in Canada on a study permit or other visa are considered international students.)
Search Transfer Alberta for course and program transfer information including transfer agreements between post-secondary schools in Alberta, British Columbia, Northwest Territories, Nunavut and Yukon.
Transfer(s) available outside of Transfer Alberta: Not available
Updated June 30, 2022. The information contained in this profile is current as of the date shown.
Educational program information is provided as an introduction and for general reference. For current information about programs and school requirements or policies, check the school calendar, visit their website or contact the school directly.
The Government of Alberta is working in partnership with the Government of Canada to provide employment support programs and services.