When you know yourself, you can plan your career and education based on what's important to you: your interests, abilities, values and experiences.
Practical Nurse Practical Nurse - Distance Education (Hybrid)
As a contemporary academic institution, NorQuest College delivers workforce-relevant education and exceptional student supports that ensure our learners have opportunities to prosper and help build the community in which they live and work. NorQuest recently expanded its campus and opened the Singhmar Centre for Learning, featuring a new child care facility, innovative lab and simulation spaces, an Indigenous student centre, bookstore, and cafeteria.
As the Edmonton region’s only community college, NorQuest serves over 17,500 students annually throughout the province in full-time, part-time, online learning, and regional programming. We help learners with diverse educational backgrounds further their studies through foundational programs in academic upgrading, English language training, and employment preparation. Our post-secondary diploma, post-diploma, and certificate programs offer career paths in health, business, and community studies. We also offer a broad range of continuing education and professional development courses and programs to enable lifelong learning and new career growth opportunities.
Satellite Campuses or Offices!span>
Drayton Valley, Wetaskiwin, Whitecourt!span>
Program Type Standard
Credential Type Diploma
Length 2 Years
- Part Time Only
- Cooperative Education
- Continuing Education
- Distance Learning Available
- 60% in English Language Arts 30-1 or 70% in English Language Arts 30-2 or equivalent
- 60% in Biology 30 or equivalent
- 60% in Mathematics 20-1 or 70% in Mathematics 20-2 or 50% in Mathematics 30-1 or 60% in Mathematics 30-2 or equivalent (Grade of 60% in NorQuest's MATH1524)*
*Please note: If it has been 10 or more years since you completed Mathematics courses (i.e. Math 10, 20, 30 or Math 13, 23, 33), you will be required to complete a skills assessment, take a challenge exam, or complete upgrading to meet the Math requirement for this program.
Note: It is strongly recommended that students take the following courses prior to entering the program: ENGL2550, ANPH1001, ANPH1002, SOCI1000, and PSYC1060. You will receive advanced standing in the Practical Nurse Program upon successful completion of these courses. These courses can be taken as Open Studies courses at NorQuest College.
Practical Nurse for Health Care Aides applicants only*:
- All admission requirements noted for in-person applicants
- Graduate of an Alberta Provincial Standard Health Care Aide program or equivalent
- Documentary evidence (e.g., a letter from the agency or employer involved) of having completed at least 500 voluntary and/or paid work hours in the health care aide field working as a health care aide
*Note: For all deliveries, the Practical Nurse program has a five-year shelf-life regulation on all nursing courses, whether the courses were taken at NorQuest College or transferred from another institution.
English Language Proficiency: If English is your second language, you must provide proof of English language proficiency (ELP) prior to admission. ELP test results must have been obtained within two years of the start date of your program. Acceptable evidence of ELP may be one of the following:
- IELTS Academic, no score below 7.5 in listening, 6.5 in reading, 7.0 in writing, and 7.0 in speaking
- TOEFL iBT: 94
- CELBAN, no score below 10 in listening, 8 in reading, 7 in writing, 8 in speaking
- Completion of ESLG 1860 and ESLG 1861 with a minimum 50%
Note: ELP is a separate requirement from the English academic admission requirement.
Practicum Requirements: The following are not required for admission purposes, but will be required before you attend the first clinical practice:
- Successful completion of all prerequisite courses
- WHMIS (XBUS 1017) certificate current within 3 years
- Basic Life Support (BLS) for Health-Care Providers (XHLT 1200) certificate
- It's Your Move (XHLT 1070) certificate current within 1 year
- Human Bloodborne Pathogen Exposure (XHLT 1023) certificate current within 3 years
- Alberta Health Services (AHS) Information & Privacy online learning module
- Up-to-date immunizations
- Clear Police Information Check dated 90 days of the collection date; must include a vulnerable sector search if older than 18 years of age*
- N95 Mask Fit testing; current within 2 years
- HSPNet information sheet
*Note: Internet (online) Police Information Checks are not accepted by the college. Please contact your local law enforcement agency directly to obtain an official Police Information Check. The existence of a criminal record may prevent clinical placement, program completion, and professional licensure and therefore may affect employment prospects. Prospective students who have a criminal record should discuss the matter with the Program Chair prior to applying for admission.
Full-time and Part-time face to face and Online Education
Search Transfer Alberta for course and program transfer information including transfer agreements between post-secondary schools in Alberta, British Columbia, Northwest Territories, Nunavut and Yukon.
Transfer(s) available outside of Transfer Alberta: Not available
Updated August 30, 2019. The information contained in this profile is current as of the date shown.
Educational program information is provided as an introduction and for general reference. For current information about programs and school requirements or policies, check the school calendar, visit their website or contact the school directly.
The Government of Alberta is working in partnership with the Government of Canada to provide employment support programs and services.