Here are 5 things you can do in the next 5 minutes to help you figure out what job you want and how to get it:
- Name 3 things you really like to do.
- Name 3 things you’re good at.
- Name 3 things you like learning about.
- Name 3 adults who are good at the things you like to do.
- Name 3 jobs you think you might be interested in.
Now you’ve got a list. Here’s what to do with it:
- Notice if any of the items in 1 are the same as the items in 2 or 3.
- Keep this in mind as you recognize your strengths.
- How do the adults you identified in 4 make their living? Do they use the things they’re good at?
- If you know them, ask. If they’re celebrities, research them online.
- Try searching the items you named in 1, 2, & 3 and add “jobs” to the search
- e.g. "mountain biking" or "snowboarding"+"jobs". Explore what turns up.
- Do the jobs in 5 involve any of the things in 1, 2, or 3? If you don’t know, search the jobs to find out.
Now you're 5 steps closer!
Was this page useful?