Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992

Finger pressing a "start" button on job search
Look for Work, Succeed at Work

“I'm looking for a job but I have a criminal record. What should I do?”


In Alberta, most employers not governed by the Canadian Human Rights Act can legally ask about criminal charges or convictions. Your best bet is to answer truthfully about your criminal record. 

The most successful way to do this is face to face, so you can explain the circumstances.

If your criminal record is preventing you from getting work, you should consider applying for and obtaining a record suspension (previously known as a pardon). However, depending on your offence, you may have to wait to be eligible.

If you’re not asked about your criminal record, it’s up to you whether you mention it or not.


Ask a Question

What would you like to know?

An alis staff member will review your question and respond via email. If it’s something that can help others look for work, explore careers, or succeed on the job, a version of your question and answer may even be added to the site.

Your privacy is important. If your question is published to alis, your identity will remain anonymous. Your email address and any other personally identifiable information will not be posted to the site.

If you require immediate assistance, please call the Alberta Supports Contact Centre at 1-877-644-9992.

Was this page useful?