Starting a business or being self-employed as a contractor or consultant can be very satisfying, if you have a good business idea and the knowledge and skills to make it happen. Resources and services are available to assist you, from business idea to start-up and beyond.
The following resources provide general information about starting and operating your own business:
- Self-Employment: A Career Option for You?
Short article introducing self-employment, including rewards and challenges
- Self-Employment and Small Business
Links to resources for starting and building your business
For inspiration, check out these Video Success Stories:
- Aboriginal Success Stories
Business success stories across Canada
- Lifetime Achievement Award Winners
The Canadian Council for Aboriginal Business pays tribute to outstanding business leaders, past and present, and gives hope and encouragement to Aboriginal business people.
Indigenous Business Resources
The resources in this list offer business information specifically for Indigenous peoples:
- The Business Link: Indigenous Services
Information and resources to meet the needs of Aboriginal business in Alberta.
- Indigenous Services Canada: Community and Economic Development
Government of Canada department providing a range of services and supports that may include funding.
- Indigenous Entrepreneur: Business Development Canada
Offers a range of training, funding, and mentorship programs and targeted initiatives.
- Alberta Indian Investment Corporation
Provides loan and equity financing from First Nations communities to First Nations-owned businesses.
- Apeetogosan (Métis) Development Inc.
Financial and advisory support to Métis businesses.
- Indian Business Corporation
Business services, training and access to capital for First Nations ventures.
A co-operative is a business jointly owned by its members, who have an equal share in the decision-making and the benefits of the business.
- Alberta Community and Co-operative Association
Provides co-op development resources, youth and adult education, rural development, administrative services, conference coordination and financial management.