Starting a business or being self-employed as a contractor or consultant can be very satisfying, if you have a good business idea and the knowledge and skills to make it happen. Resources and services are available to assist you, from business idea to start-up and beyond.
The following resources provide general information about starting and operating your own business:
- Self-Employment: A Career Option for You?—short article introducing self-employment, including rewards and challenges
- Self-Employment and Small Business—links to resources for starting and building your business
For inspiration, check out these Video Success Stories:
- Aboriginal Best Program—self-employment training
- Aboriginal Success Stories—business success stories across Canada
- Canadian Council for Aboriginal Businesses Hall of Fame Laureates—Hall of Fame Winners
Indigenous Business Resources
The resources in this list offer business information specifically for Indigenous peoples:
- The Business Link—Aboriginal Services—information and resources to meet the needs of Aboriginal business in Alberta.
- Aboriginal Business Canada and You Government of Canada program providing a range of services and supports that may include funding.
- Starting a Business for Aboriginal Peoples Service Canada site with links to business information, funding and support.
- Aboriginal Entrepreneur: Business Development Canada—offering a range of training, funding and mentorship programs and targeted initiatives.
- Alberta Indian Investment Corporation—providing loan and equity financing from First Nations communities to First Nations-owned businesses.
- Apeetogosan (Métis) Development Inc.—financial and advisory support to Métis businesses.
- Indian Business Corporation—business services, training and access to capital for First Nations ventures.
A co-operative is a business jointly owned by its members, who have an equal share in the decision-making and the benefits of the business.
- Alberta Community and Co-operative Association—providing co-op development resources, youth and adult education, rural development, administrative services, conference coordination and financial management.