Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992

Health and Social Services

Audiometric Technician

Audiometric technicians administer tests to measure hearing. They work under the supervision of a physician, audiologist or occupational health nurse.


Occupational Health and Safety Policy and Program Development
Government of Alberta 
8th Floor, Labour Building
10808 - 99 Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta
Canada  T5K 0G5
Call: 780-427-2687
Fax: 780-422-0014


Under Part 16 of Alberta's Occupational Health and Safety Code [pdf], employers must provide initial (baseline) and follow-up audiometric testing for workers exposed to excess noise at the worksite. These audiometric tests must be administered by an audiometric technician who works in consultation with a physician, audiologist or occupational health nurse designated by the employer.

What You Need

Certification requires successful completion of an audiometric technician training course approved by the Director of Medical Services or an approved equivalent. Re-qualification is required every five years. For official, detailed information about certification requirements, contact Occupational Health and Safety Policy and Program Development, Government of Alberta.

Working in Alberta

Audiometric technicians who are certified by and in good standing with a regulatory organization elsewhere in Canada may be eligible for certification in Alberta if certified audiometric technicians in the two jurisdictions have similar responsibilities and competencies. For more information, see "What if I am already certified in another province or territory?" and the Alberta regulatory authority (below).

The certification information in this profile may change at any time and without notice. Before making any career decisions, we advise you to contact the regulatory organization or visit their website for the most updated information.

Was this page useful?