Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992

Health and Social Services

Dental Technologist and Technician

Dental technologists and technicians fabricate, duplicate, alter and repair prosthetic and orthodontic devices, and fit devices (when fitting is incidental to fabrication, duplication, alteration or repair).


College of Dental Technologists of Alberta
#7, 9343 - 50 Street
Edmonton, Alberta
Canada  T6B 2L5
Phone number: 780-469-0615
Toll-free phone number: 1-800-537-0568
Fax number: 780-469-1340


Under Alberta's Health Professions Act and Dental Technologists Profession Regulation, registration with the College of Dental Technologists of Alberta (CDTA) is mandatory if you meet identified competency requirements and provide professional services directly to the public, manufacture dental appliances, teach the practice of the profession to members or students of the profession, or supervise registered members who provide services to the public. Registered members, who are authorized by the College, provide restricted activities specified in the Regulation. Only registered members may call themselves Dental Technologists or Dental Technicians.

What You Need

Registration requires successful completion of: (1) an approved two year program of studies and (2) an approved examination. Applicants who have been out of practice for a period of time also may have to demonstrate that they are currently competent to practice. For official, detailed information about registration requirements, visit the CDTA website or contact the CDTA.

Working in Alberta

Dental technologists and technicians who are registered and in good standing with a regulatory organization elsewhere in Canada may be eligible for registration in Alberta if registered practitioners in the two jurisdictions have similar responsibilities and competencies. For more information, see "What if I am already certified in another province or territory?" and the Alberta regulatory authority (below).

To learn about certification for internationally educated dental technologists and technicians, see Dental Technologist/Technician Registration Process.

Was this page useful?