Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992

Health and Social Services


Dentists evaluate, diagnose, and treat (surgically or non-surgically) diseases, disorders, and conditions of the mouth. This includes the teeth, gums, and other supporting structures, the maxillofacial area (upper and lower jaws and joints) and the adjacent and associated structures of the head and neck. Dentists help to maintain and improve a person’s physical, psychological, and social health.


College of Dental Surgeons of Alberta (CDSA)
Suite 402
7609 - 109th Street NW
Edmonton, Alberta  T6G 1C3

Call: 780-432-1012
Toll-free (within Alberta): 1-800-843-3848
Fax: 780-433-4864



Under Alberta’s Health Professions Act [pdf], Health Professions Restricted Activity Regulation [pdf], and Dentists Profession Regulation [pdf], registration with the College of Dental Surgeons of Alberta (CDSA) is mandatory. Only registered members may provide restricted activities specified in the Regulations. This includes those who:

  • Meet identified competency requirements and provide professional services directly to the public
  • Teach the practice of the profession to members or students of the profession
  • Supervise registered members
  • Provide services to the public in their capacity as dental students
  • Use the title dentist

What You Need

To register as a dentist in Alberta, you must successfully complete:

Applicants who have been out of practice for a period also may have to demonstrate that they are currently competent to practice.

Registration as a dental specialist requires additional education and examination requirements. Dental specialists recognized in Alberta include:

  • Endodontists
  • Oral and maxillofacial radiologists
  • Oral and maxillofacial surgeons
  • Oral medicine and pathology specialists
  • Orthodontist and dentofacial orthopedists
  • Pediatric dentists
  • Periodontists
  • Prosthodontists
  • Public health dentists

For details about all registration requirements, contact the CDSA or visit the CDSA website.

Working in Alberta

Dentists who are registered and in good standing with a regulatory body elsewhere in Canada may be eligible for registration in Alberta.

For more information, see What if I am already certified in another province or territory in Canada? and the CDSA website.

Internationally educated dentists may choose to enter a 2- or 3-year qualifying program or apply to the NDEB Equivalency Process. After gaining NDEB certification, they can apply to the CDSA.

The certification information in this profile may change at any time and without notice. Before making any career decisions, we advise you to contact the regulatory organization or visit their website for the most updated information.

Was this page useful?