Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992

Driver examiner in a car with a test taker
Legal, Education and Government Services

Driver Examiner

Driver examiners conduct road tests. They determine if applicants for operator’s licences have the skills and knowledge needed to safely operate vehicles such as cars, motorcycles, transport trucks, and buses.


Examinations and Licensing
Alberta Transportation and Economic Corridors
1st Floor, Twin Atria Building
4999 - 98 Avenue NW
Edmonton, Alberta T6B 2X3

Call: 780-427-8230


Under Alberta’s Traffic Safety Act [pdf] and Driver Training and Driver Examination Regulation [pdf], you must hold a driver examiner licence issued by the Government of Alberta to conduct a driver examination.

You cannot hold both a driver examiner licence and a driving instructor licence.

What You Need

To apply for a driver examiner’s licence in Alberta, you need:

  • A Class 1, 2, 3, or 4 driver’s licence
  • 5 years of fully licensed driving experience
  • Fewer than 7 demerits on your current driving record
  • No licence cancellations or suspensions under the Traffic Safety Act in the past 2 years
  • No licence cancellations or suspensions under the Criminal Code of Canada [pdf] in the past 5 years
  • A Grade 12 education
  • Affiliation with an Alberta registry agent

You can conduct road tests only for the class of licence that you hold.

Those accepted for training must:

  • Provide a criminal record check that is not older than 90 days
  • Pay application and examination fees
  • Complete a minimum 2-3 week training course
  • Pass knowledge and on-road exams

Working in Alberta

Driver examiners who are registered and in good standing with a regulatory body elsewhere in Canada may be eligible for registration in Alberta if their scope of practice and competencies are similar.

For more information, see What if I am already certified in another province or territory in Canada? and the Government of Alberta website.

The certification information in this profile may change at any time and without notice. Before making any career decisions, we advise you to contact the regulatory organization or visit their website for the most updated information.

Was this page useful?