Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992

Other Occupations

Electrical Contractor / Master Electrician

Master electricians and professional electrical contractors can obtain electrical permits for electrical installations in Alberta. They may be electrical contractors themselves or work for companies that do electrical contracting work.


Electrical Contractors Association of Alberta
17725 - 103 Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta T5S 1N8

Call: 780-451-2412
Call toll-free: 1-800-252-9375

Safety Codes Council
Suite 500, 10405Jasper Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 3N4

Call: 780-413-0099
Call toll-free in Alberta: 1-888-413-0099


Master Electrician is a designation awarded under the Certification and Permit Regulation [pdf]. In Alberta, only Master Electricians awarded a Certificate of Competency by the Safety Codes Council are able to obtain electrical permits (other than homeowners)

Professional Electrical Contractor (PEC), Certified Master Electrician (CME) and Registered Master Electrician (RME) are titles awarded by the Electrical Contractors Association of Alberta (ECAA). These titles and abbreviations are protected under Alberta’s Professional and Occupational Associations Registration Act [pdf]. You do not have to be registered with ECAA if you do not use one of these titles or abbreviations.

What You Need

Certification as a master electrician requires at least 3 years of experience as a journeyperson electrician (within the previous 5 years) and successful completion of an approved examination. For information on becoming a Master Electrician, visit the Safety Codes Council website.

Once you have Master Electrician certification, additional training through the ECAA may allow you to register as a PEC, RME or CME. For detailed information about registration for these designations, visit the ECAA website.

Working in Alberta

Master electricians and electrical contractors who are certified/registered and in good standing with a regulatory organization elsewhere in Canada may be eligible for certification in Alberta if registered practitioners in the two jurisdictions have similar responsibilities and competencies. For more information, see What if I am already certified in another province or territory in Canada?, the ECAA website, and the Safety Codes Council website.

The certification information in this profile may change at any time and without notice. Before making any career decisions, we advise you to contact the regulatory organization or visit their website for the most updated information.

Was this page useful?