Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992

Business, Finance and Real Estate

Insurance Agent

Insurance agents assess people’s financial needs and advise them on how to protect themselves against financial loss. They may represent insurance companies directly or as independent representatives. They sell life, property, casualty, automobile, or health insurance policies to individuals, businesses, or public institutions.


Alberta Insurance Council

1430 308 4th Avenue SW
Calgary, Alberta T2P 0H7

Call: 403-233-2929
Fax: 403-233-2990

2700 10180 101 Street NW
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 3S4

Call: 780-421-4148
Fax: 780-425-5745


Under Alberta’s Insurance Act [pdf] and Insurance Agents and Adjusters Regulation [pdf], you must be licensed by the Alberta Insurance Council (AIC) to sell insurance in Alberta.

What You Need

The AIC issues licences to sell general insurance, life insurance, and accident and sickness insurance. Requirements vary for each licence. Applicants for all types of licences must:

  • Submit a security clearance document
  • Be recommended by an authorized person
  • Carry Errors and Omissions Insurance

In addition, there are specific qualifications to sell each type of insurance.

General Insurance

Insurance agents can apply for different levels of the General Insurance certificates.

General Level 1 licence applicants must:

  • Complete a General Licensing Qualification Program (GLQP) course from an approved educator
  • Pass a General Level 1 exam or complete an approved course equivalency within 12 months before applying

General Level 2 licence applicants must pass a General Level 2 exam or complete an approved course equivalency within 12 months before applying.

General Level 3 licence applicants must:

  • Have held a General Level 2 licence for at least 2 of the last 3 years
  • Pass a General Level 3 exam or complete an approved course equivalency within 12 months before applying

Life Insurance or Accident and Sickness Insurance

Insurance agents can apply for a Life Insurance licence, an Accident and Sickness Insurance licence, or both. They must:

  • Complete a Life Licence Qualification Program (LLQP) certification course from an approved educator
  • Pass all modules of the LLQP exam within 12 months before applying

For official, detailed information about licensing requirements and a list of approved educators, contact the AIC or visit the AIC website.

Working in Alberta

Insurance agents who are licensed by and in good standing with a regulatory body elsewhere in Canada may be eligible for licensing in Alberta if their scope of practice and competencies are similar.

For more information, see What if I am already certified in another province or territory in Canada? and the AIC website.

The certification information in this profile may change at any time and without notice. Before making any career decisions, we advise you to contact the regulatory organization or visit their website for the most updated information.

Was this page useful?