Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992


The COVID-19 pandemic has impacted legislation and services. Information on this website may not reflect the current situation in Alberta. Please visit for up-to-date information about these impacts.

Business, Finance and Real Estate

Land Surveyor

Land surveyors plan, direct and conduct legal surveys to determine and interpret the location of boundaries, buildings, structures and other natural or human-made features on, over or under the surface of the earth.


Alberta Land Surveyors' Association  
1000, 10020 - 101A Avenue 
Edmonton, Alberta  
Canada  T5J 3G2
Phone number: 780-429-8805
Toll-free phone number: 1-800-665-2572
Fax number: 780-429-3374


Under Alberta's Land Surveyors Act, you must be registered with the Alberta Land Surveyors' Association (ALSA) to practice as or use the title Alberta Land Surveyor. If you are not registered with ALSA, you may work in this field only under the supervision, direction and control of an Alberta Land Surveyor.

What You Need

Registration requires successful completion of approved examinations and at least two years of articling to gain field and administrative experience. Candidates are eligible to article if they have a certificate of completion from the Canadian Board of Examiners for Professional Surveyors (CBEPS). This is obtained by (1) successfully completing a geomatics engineering program at the University of Calgary or the University of New Brunswick that includes prescribed courses or (2) successfully completing a series of qualifying examinations administered by the CBEPS. During the articling period, students must successfully complete three written examinations and three project reports. The final phase of the registration process is an oral examination that covers general survey practice and professional ethics. For official, detailed information about registration requirements, visit the ALSA website or contact the ALSA.

Working in Alberta

Land surveyors who are registered and in good standing with a regulatory organization elsewhere in Canada may be eligible for registration in Alberta if registered surveyors in the two jurisdictions have similar responsibilities and competencies. For more information, see "What if I am already certified in another province or territory?" and the Alberta regulatory authority (below).

To learn about certification for internationally educated land surveyors, see Land Surveyor Registration Process.

Was this page useful?