Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992

Health and Social Services


Midwives provide comprehensive prenatal, labour, birth and postpartum care to clients experiencing normal pregnancy, and provide counselling, education and emotional support related to the clients' physical, psychological and social needs.


College of Midwives of Alberta
215, 1935 Avenue NE
Calgary, Alberta
Canada T2E 7C8
Phone number: 780-422-2733


Midwife is a protected title under Alberta's Health Disciplines Act and Midwifery Regulation. To call yourself a Midwife or practice as a Midwife, you must be registered by the Midwifery Health Disciplines Committee. Registered members provide health services listed in the Regulation.

What You Need

Registration requires successful completion of: (1) an approved midwifery or refresher program within a specified time period prior to application, or an equivalent combination of education and experience, and (2) an approved examination. For official, detailed information about registration requirements, visit the Alberta Health website or contact the Registrar for Midwives.

Working in Alberta

Midwives who are registered by and in good standing with a regulatory organization elsewhere in Canada may be eligible for registration in Alberta if registered practitioners in the two jurisdictions have similar responsibilities and competencies. For more information, see "What if I am already certified in another province or territory?" and the Alberta regulatory authority (below).

The certification information in this profile may change at any time and without notice. Before making any career decisions, we advise you to contact the regulatory organization or visit their website for the most updated information.

Was this page useful?