Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992


The COVID-19 pandemic has impacted legislation and services. Information on this website may not reflect the current situation in Alberta. Please visit for up-to-date information about these impacts.

Business, Finance and Real Estate

Mortgage Associate

Mortgage associates facilitate transactions between borrowers and lenders. They negotiate with lenders to get the best possible mortgage funding and terms for their customers.


Real Estate Council of Alberta (RECA)
350, 4954 Richard Rd SW
Calgary, Alberta T3E 6L1
Phone: 403-228-2954
Toll-free: 1-888-425-2754
Fax: 403-228-3065


Mortgage Associate and Mortgage Broker are protected titles under Alberta's Real Estate Act (PDF), associated regulations and Rules. This means that to call yourself a Mortgage Associate or Mortgage Broker, you must be registered with the Real Estate Council of Alberta (RECA).

What You Need

To become a licensed Mortgage Associate, you must complete 2 online courses:

In addition, licensed Mortgage Associates must:

  • be at least 18 years of age
  • be proficient in English
  • have a Canadian high school diploma or equivalent
  • be a Canadian citizen or have a Permanent Resident card or work permit with no study restrictions
  • submit a certified criminal record check
  • secure employment with an Alberta mortgage brokerage
  • apply for licensing and registration with the RECA through that brokerage.

For more information about education, exam and licensing requirements to become a licensed Mortgage Associate, contact the regulatory authority below.

Working in Alberta

Mortgage associates who are certified by and in good standing with a regulatory organization elsewhere in Canada may be eligible for certification in Alberta if certified mortgage associates in the 2 jurisdictions have similar responsibilities and competencies. For more information, see What if I am already certified in another province or territory? and the Alberta regulatory authority above.

Was this page useful?