Skip to the main content
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992

Edmonton 780-644-9992

Guest Account Sign In Sign Up
Engineering, Architecture, Science and Technology

Pesticide Applicator and Dispenser

Pesticide applicators use pesticides (chemicals) to control pests, such as weeds, diseases or destructive insects or animals, as part of their paid employment. Pesticide dispensers sell and store pesticides as part of their paid employment.


Alberta Environment and Parks
Government of Alberta
Box 24, 10320 - 99 Street, Main Floor
Grande Prairie, Alberta  T8V 6J4

Call: 780-538-6460
Toll-free within Alberta: 310-3773
Toll-free outside Alberta: 780-944-0313
Fax: 780-538-5336


Under Alberta's Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act [pdf] and Pesticide (Ministerial) Regulation [pdf], you must be a commercial agriculturalist (farmer) or a certified pesticide applicator, or supervised by someone who is certified, to apply a commercial-class pesticide such as insecticide, herbicide or fungicide.

You must be a certified dispenser to sell pesticides.

There are 2 types of dispensers in Alberta:

  • Lawn and garden pesticide dispensers sell domestic-class pesticides.
  • Commercial dispensers sell domestic-, commercial- and restricted-class pesticides.
What You Need

Certification requires successful completion of an exam. A preparatory course is available through home study materials or classroom tutorials.

Individuals may become certified in one or more applicator classes. For detailed official information about certification requirements, contact the regulatory authority below.

Working in Alberta

Pesticide applicator and dispensers who are certified by and in good standing with a regulatory organization elsewhere in Canada may be eligible for certification in Alberta if certified pesticide applicators and dispensers in the two jurisdictions have similar responsibilities and competencies. For more information, see What if I am already certified in another province or territory? and the Government of Alberta website.

Was this page useful?