Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992

Health and Social Services


Pharmacists assist and advise clients and other health care providers by contributing unique drug and non drug therapy knowledge on drug and non drug selection and use; monitor responses and outcomes to drug therapy; compound, prepare, dispense and prescribe drugs; provide non prescription drugs, blood products, parenteral nutrition, health care devices and aids; supervise and manage drug distribution systems to maintain public safety and drug system security; educate clients, patients and others; conduct or collaborate in drug related research; and conduct or administer drug and other health related programs.


Alberta College of Pharmacists
1100, 8215 - 112 Street
Edmonton, Alberta
Canada  T6G 2C8
Phone number: 780-990-0321
Toll-free phone number: 1-877-227-3838
Fax number: 780-990-0328


Under Alberta's Health Professions Act and the Pharmacists and Pharmacy Technicians Profession Regulation registration with the Alberta College of Pharmacists (ACP) is mandatory if you meet identified competency requirements and provide professional services directly to the public, teach the practice of the profession to members or students of the profession, or supervise registered members who provide services to the public. Registered members, who are authorized by the College, provide restricted activities specified in the Regulation. Only registered members may call themselves pharmacists, clinical pharmacists or druggists.

What You Need

Registration requires successful completion of: (1) a bachelor's degree in pharmacy, (2) a structured practical training program and (3) registration and jurisprudence examinations approved by the Alberta College of Pharmacists. Applicants who have been out of practice for a period of time also may have to demonstrate that they are currently competent to practice. For official, detailed information about registration requirements, visit the ACP website or contact the ACP.

Working in Alberta

Pharmacists who are registered by and in good standing with a regulatory organization elsewhere in Canada may be eligible for registration in Alberta if registered pharmacists in the two jurisdictions have similar responsibilities and competencies. For more information, see "What if I am already certified in another province or territory?" and the Alberta regulatory authority (below).

To learn about certification for internationally educated pharmacists, see Pharmacist Registration Process.

Was this page useful?