Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992

Legal, Education and Government Services

Private Investigator

Private investigators gather information to secure evidence relating to a wide range of private, corporate and legal interests.


Security Programs
Alberta Justice and Solicitor General
P.O. Box 1023 Station Main
Edmonton, Alberta  
Canada T5J 2M1

Call: 1-877-462-0791


Under Alberta's Security Services and Investigators Act [pdf], Security Services and Investigators Regulation [pdf] and Security Services and Investigators (Ministerial) Regulation [pdf], you must be licensed by the Government of Alberta to conduct surveillance activities or seek information about crimes, misconduct or allegations; causes of accidents, injury or damage; the activities or reputation of a person; or the location of property or whereabouts of a person.

What You Need

An applicant for licensing must be at least 18 years of age, a Canadian citizen or legally entitled to work in Canada, fluent in spoken English, competent and of good character and not the subject of a criminal investigation; have no serious criminal record or outstanding criminal charge; and successfully complete training and examination requirements. For official, detailed information about licensing requirements, visit the Government of Alberta website.

Working in Alberta

Private investigators who are licensed and in good standing with a regulatory organization elsewhere in Canada may be eligible for licensing in Alberta if they meet the training standards for Alberta. In order to perform investigation work in Alberta an Alberta licence is required. For more information, see What if I am already certified in another province or territory? and the Alberta regulatory authority (below).

Was this page useful?