Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992

Health and Social Services


Psychologists assess, diagnose, treat, guide, and support persons or groups of persons to enhance development, effective living and quality of life or to prevent, remedy or ameliorate mental, emotional, cognitive, behavioural and interpersonal difficulties; and teach, supervise or consult in the practice of psychology.


College of Alberta Psychologists
Sun Life Place
2100, 10123 - 99 Street
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 3H1

Call: 780-424-5070
Toll-free within Alberta: 1-800-659-0857
Fax: 780-420-1241


Under Alberta’s Health Professions Act [pdf] and Psychologists Profession Regulation [pdf], registration with the College of Alberta Psychologists (CAP) is mandatory if you meet identified competency requirements and provide professional services directly to the public, teach the practice of the profession to members or students of the profession, or supervise registered members who provide services to the public. Registered members, who are authorized by the College, provide restricted activities specified in the Regulation. Only registered members may call themselves psychologists.

What You Need

Registration requires successful completion of:

  • A post graduate degree in psychology that meets the academic requirements established by the College
  • At least 1,600 hours of approved work experience under the supervision of a Registered Psychologist, approved by the College
  • An established core knowledge in areas as defined by the College .

For official, detailed information about registration requirements, visit CAP.

Working in Alberta

Psychologists who are registered by and in good standing with a regulatory organization elsewhere in Canada may be eligible for registration in Alberta if registered psychologists in the 2 jurisdictions have similar responsibilities and competencies. For more information, see "What if I am already certified in another province or territory in Canada?" and CAP.

The certification information in this profile may change at any time and without notice. Before making any career decisions, we advise you to contact the regulatory organization or visit their website for the most updated information.

Was this page useful?