Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992

Health and Social Services

Respiratory Therapist

Respiratory therapists work with health-care teams to diagnose, treat, educate, and promote wellness in patients who suffer from cardio-respiratory disease and related disorders.


College of Respiratory Therapists of Alberta (CRTA)
Suite 218
6715 - 8th Street NE
Calgary, Alberta  T2E 7H7

Call: 403-274-1828
Toll-free within Alberta: 1-800-205-2778
Fax: 403-274-9703



Under Alberta’s Health Professions Act [pdf], Health Professions Restricted Activity Regulation [pdf],  and Respiratory Therapists Profession Regulation [pdf], registration with the College of Respiratory Therapists of Alberta (CRTA) is mandatory. Only registered members may provide the restricted activities specified in the Regulations. This includes those who:

  • Meet identified competency requirements and provide professional services directly to the public
  • Teach the practice of the profession to members or students of the profession
  • Supervise registered members who provide services to the public
  • Use the titles and initials: respiratory therapist, respiratory technologist, respiratory care practitioner, or RRT

What You Need

To become a registered respiratory therapist (RRT) in Alberta, you need:

  • Successful completion of an approved education program
  • Successful completion of an approved examination
  • 2 declarations of personal character
  • At least 1,500 hours of acceptable work experience within the last 4 years
  • At least 48 continuing competency hours within the last 2 years

There is another registration category for respiratory therapists.

A provisional respiratory therapist:

  • Has completed the educational requirement for RRTs
  • Must work under the supervision of an RRT or approved regulated health professional

For details about all registration requirements, contact CRTA or visit the CRTA website.

Working in Alberta

Respiratory therapists who are registered by and in good standing with a regulatory body elsewhere in Canada may be eligible for registration in Alberta.

For more information, see What if I am already certified in another province or territory in Canada? and the CRTA website.

Internationally educated respiratory therapists can apply through the CRTA Foreign Qualification Recognition pathway.

The certification information in this profile may change at any time and without notice. Before making any career decisions, we advise you to contact the regulatory organization or visit their website for the most updated information.

Was this page useful?