Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992

Security guard holding a walkie talkie in front of monitors
Legal, Education and Government Services

Security Guard

Security guards protect an organization’s property, personnel, and information against fire, theft, vandalism, and illegal entry.


Security Programs
Alberta Justice
P.O. Box 1023 Station Main
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 2M1 

Call: 1-877-462-0791


Under Alberta’s Security Services and Investigators Act [pdf] and Security Services and Investigators (Ministerial) Regulation [pdf], you must be licensed by the Government of Alberta if you are paid to patrol, guard, or provide security, or detect loss of or damage to the property of another person.

What You Need

There are 5 classes of licence:

  • Alarm responder
  • Bodyguard
  • Loss prevention worker
  • Patrol dog handler
  • Security guard

An applicant for licensing must:

  • Be at least 18 years of age
  • Be a Canadian citizen or legally entitled to work in Canada
  • Be fluent in spoken English
  • Be competent and of good character
  • Not be the subject of a criminal investigation
  • Have no serious criminal record or outstanding criminal charge
  • Successfully complete the training and examination requirements for the class or classes of licence being sought

For details about licensing requirements, visit the Government of Alberta website.

Working in Alberta

Security guards who are licensed and in good standing with a regulatory body elsewhere in Canada may be eligible for licensing in Alberta if their scope of practice and competencies are similar.

For more information, see What if I am already certified in another province or territory in Canada? and the Government of Alberta website.

The certification information in this profile may change at any time and without notice. Before making any career decisions, we advise you to contact the regulatory organization or visit their website for the most updated information.

Was this page useful?