Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992

Health and Social Services

Speech-Language Pathologist

Speech-language pathologists prevent, assess, diagnose, and provide counselling and rehabilitation for communication and swallowing disorders. They also teach, manage, and conduct research in the science and practice of speech-language pathology.


Alberta College of Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists (ACSLPA)
Suite 620
4445 Calgary Trail NW
Edmonton, Alberta T6H 5R7

Call: 780-944-1609
Toll-free within Alberta: 1-800-537-0589
Fax: 780-408-3925



Under Alberta’s Health Professions Act [pdf], Health Professions Restricted Activity Regulation [pdf], and Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists Profession Regulation [pdf], registration with the Alberta College of Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists (ACSLPA) is mandatory. Only registered members may provide restricted activities specified in the Regulations. This includes those who:

  • Meet identified competency requirements and provide professional services directly to the public
  • Teach the practice of the profession to others
  • Supervise registered members
  • Use the titles and designations: speech-language pathologist, speech therapist, speech pathologist, SLP, and RSLP

What You Need

To register as a speech-language pathologist in Alberta, you need:

  • A master’s degree from an approved speech-language pathology program or an approved equivalent completed within the last 3 years
  • At least 350 hours of supervised clinical practice hours as part of your educational program
  • Proof of recent education or current professional practice

For details about all registration requirements, contact ACSLPA or visit the ACSLPA website.

Working in Alberta

Speech-language pathologists who are registered by and in good standing with a regulatory body elsewhere in Canada may be eligible for registration in Alberta.

For more information, see What if I am already certified in another province or territory in Canada? and the ACSLPA website.

The certification information in this profile may change at any time and without notice. Before making any career decisions, we advise you to contact the regulatory organization or visit their website for the most updated information.

Was this page useful?