Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992

Legal, Education and Government Services


In Alberta, teachers in the K to 12 system work at the elementary (Kindergarten to Grade 6), junior high (Grades 7 to 9), or high school (Grades 10 to 12) levels. Elementary and junior high teachers are typically generalists. However, it is preferred that high school teachers have subject area expertise.


The Registrar at Alberta Education
Government of Alberta
2nd Floor, 44 Capital Boulevard Building
10044 – 108 St
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 5E6

Phone: 780-427-2045
Toll-free within Alberta: 310-0000, then 780-427-2045
Fax: 780-422-4199



Under Alberta’s Education Act [pdf] and Certification of Teachers and Teacher Leaders Regulation [pdf], school teachers must be certificated by the Government of Alberta.

What You Need

Minimum requirements for an interim professional certificate are:

  • 4 years of university education and a recognized degree, including 48 semester-hour credits in teacher-education coursework and 10 weeks of supervised student teaching at an approved institution
  • Criminal record check with a vulnerable sector search

Requirements for a permanent professional certificate are:

  • 2 years of full-time teaching experience (approximately 400 days equivalent) in an Alberta accredited school while holding a valid Interim Professional Certificate
  • 2 successful evaluations of classroom performance based on meeting the requirements in the Teaching Quality Standard
  • Recommendation from the employing school authority

For detailed official information including coursework requirements for teachers in the K to 12 system, visit the Government of Alberta website.

Working in Alberta

Individuals who hold a valid teaching certificate from another Canadian jurisdiction are eligible for certification in Alberta without additional training or examination. Evidence of language proficiency may be required. For more information, see What if I am already certified in another province or territory in Canada? and the Government of Alberta website.

The certification information in this profile may change at any time and without notice. Before making any career decisions, we advise you to contact the regulatory organization or visit their website for the most updated information.

Was this page useful?