Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992

Other Occupations

Underground Coal Mine Supervisors

Underground coal mine supervisors include managers, foremen and electrical superintendents.


Occupational Health and Safety Policy and Program Development
Government of Alberta
8th Floor, Labour Building
10808 - 99 Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta
Canada  T5K 0G5
Call toll-free (within Alberta): 1-866-415-8690 


Under Alberta's Occupational Health and Safety Act and Occupational Health and Safety Regulation, you must hold an underground coal mine manager, underground coal mine foreman or underground coal mine electrical superintendent certificate issued by the Government of Alberta to work in those positions in Alberta.

What You Need

To qualify for a manager certificate, you must have (1) first aid certification, and (2) a degree in mining engineering and five years of underground coal mining experience including one year at the working face, or 10 years of experience in underground coal mining including two years at the working face.

To qualify for a foreman certificate, you must (1) have five years of underground coal mining experience including one year at the working face or equivalent, (2) be knowledgeable about blasting procedures, (3) hold a standard first aid certificate, and (4) have training in underground mine rescue.

To qualify for an electrical superintendent certificate, you must have a degree in electrical engineering from a school recognized by the board of examiners and at least two years of underground mining experience, or a journeyman electrician trade certificate and three years of electrical experience in underground coal mining, or four years of electrical experience including one year in underground coal mining, or equivalent.

For official, detailed information about each type of mining certificate, see the Regulation.

Working in Alberta

Underground coal mine supervisors who are registered and in good standing with a regulatory organization elsewhere in Canada may be eligible for registration in Alberta if registered supervisors in the two jurisdictions have the same certification, responsibilities and competencies. For more information, see "What if I am already certified in another province or territory?" and the Alberta regulatory authority (below).

The certification information in this profile may change at any time and without notice. Before making any career decisions, we advise you to contact the regulatory organization or visit their website for the most updated information.

Was this page useful?