Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992

Other Occupations

Vehicle Inspection Technician

Vehicle inspection technicians determine vehicle condition, and complete inspection certificates or affix decals to vehicles.


Vehicle Inspection Program
Government of Alberta
Room 109, Main Floor, Twin Atria Building
4999 - 98 Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta T6B 2X3

Call: 780-427-8901
Toll-free within Alberta: 310-0000, then 780-427-8901


Under Alberta’s Traffic Safety Act [pdf] and Vehicle Inspection Regulation [pdf], you must be approved by Government of Alberta to complete and sign an inspection certificate and, when applicable, affix a decal to commercially registered vehicles and privately registered vehicles.

What You Need

Applicants for approval must:

  • Be a journeyman in an eligible trade (examples: Auto Body Technician, Automotive Service Technician, Heavy Equipment Technician, Heavy Equipment Technician - Transport Trailer Mechanic, Heavy Equipment Technician - Truck and Transport Mechanic, Motorcycle Mechanic), or have equivalent qualifications from another jurisdiction
  • Submit a copy of a current criminal record check
  • Pay the applicable fees.

For official, detailed information, see the Vehicle Inspection Program.

Working in Alberta

Vehicle inspection technicians who are licensed and in good standing with a regulatory organization elsewhere in Canada may be eligible for approval in Alberta if licensed technicians in the two jurisdictions have similar responsibilities and competencies. For more information, see What if I am already certified in another province or territory in Canada? and the Government of Alberta website.

The certification information in this profile may change at any time and without notice. Before making any career decisions, we advise you to contact the regulatory organization or visit their website for the most updated information.

Was this page useful?