When you know yourself, you can plan your career and education based on what's important to you: your interests, abilities, values and experiences.
Pharmacy Technician Pharmacy Technician Diploma
Education is your key to a better quality of life, benefitting not only you, but also the community in which you live and work. Empowered by education, you can broaden your knowledge, increase your job opportunities, and enhance your productivity and job satisfaction. As Alberta's largest community college, NorQuest College is proud to offer a strong selection of post-secondary diploma and certificate programs that lead to in-demand careers. Our career studies include health, human services, and business. We also offer foundational learning opportunities that include academic upgrading, adult literacy, employment readiness, and English as a second language education. At NorQuest, you will acquire the advanced skills required in increasingly complex workplaces. Our committed, supportive, and skilled faculty and staff will help you achieve your career and life goals. We want you to hit the ground running when you graduate so you can meet the immediate and long-term job needs of business and industry. We're proud that 95 per cent of our graduates find employment or continue their education.!SPAN>
Satellite Campuses or Offices!SPAN>!SPAN>
Drayton Valley, Stony Plain, Wetaskiwin, Whitecourt!SPAN>
Program Type Occupational
Credential Type Diploma
Length 2 Years
- Part Time Only
- Cooperative Education
- Continuing Education
- Distance Learning
- 60% in English Language Arts 30-1 or 70% in English Language Arts 30-2 or equivalent
- 60% in Mathematics 30-1 (Pure Mathematics 30) or Mathematics 30-2 (Applied Mathematics 30) or equivalent*
- 60% in Biology 30 or equivalent
- 60% in Chemistry 30 or equivalent
- High school diploma or equivalent
* Please note: If it has been 10 or more years since you completed mathematics courses (i.e. Math 10, 20, 30 or Math 13, 23, 33), you will be required to complete a skills assessment, take a challenge exam, or complete upgrading to meet the mathematics requirement for this program.
English Language Proficiency
If English is your second language or you were educated outside of Canada, you must provide proof of English language proficiency (ELP) prior to admission. Language proficiency test results must meet the National Association of Pharmacy Regulatory Authorities (NAPRA) language proficiency requirements. ELP must have been completed within two years prior to application to the program.
- TOEFL iBT overall score of 91, no score below 23 in speaking, 25 in writing, 22 in reading, and 21 in listening
- IELTS Academic overall score of 6.5, no section score below 6
- MELAB overall score of 81, no score below 3+ in speaking, 80 in writing, 83 in reading, and 80 in listening
- CanTEST no score below 4.5 in speaking, 4.0 in writing, 4.5 in reading, and 4.5 in listening
- Graduation from approved Canadian high school, with at least three consecutive years of full-time academic study and satisfactory completion of Grade 12 English or its equivalent. The high school's language of instruction must be English. A General Education Diploma (GED) is not acceptable.
- Successful completion of a recognized Canadian undergraduate degree program at a post-secondary institution where the language of instruction is English.
Note: As the above language proficiency standards are established by the Alberta College of Pharmacists (ACP) and NAPRA, no other evidence of ELP, including completion of NorQuest coursework or other studies in English outside of Canada, will be accepted. Meeting the English language proficiency requirement does NOT exempt the applicant from meeting the English academic course work required for admission to this program.
The following are not required for admission purposes, but will be required before you attend your practicum:
- Successful completion of all prerequisite courses
- Successful completion of a pre-practicum assessment (written and practical)
- Basic Life Support (BLS) for Health-Care Providers (XHLT 1200) certificate current within 1 year
- Alberta Health Services (AHS) Information & Privacy online learning module
- Up-to-date immunizations
- Clear Police Information Check dated within 90 days of the collection date; must include vulnerable sector search if older than 18 years of age*
- HSPNet information sheet
*Note: Internet (online) Police Information Checks are not accepted by the college. Please contact your local law enforcement agency directly to obtain an official Police Information Check. The existence of a criminal record may prevent clinical placement, program completion, and professional licensure and therefore may affect employment prospects. Prospective students who have a criminal record should discuss the matter with the Program Chair prior to applying for admission.
This program is eligible for full-time post-secondary assistance by Student Aid Alberta for the funding year 2017/08/01 to 2018/07/31*.
Tuition $6,426.00 Year One
Books/Supplies/Instruments $4,066.00 Year One
Mandatory Fees $1,813.00 Year One
* Tuition, books, supplies, instruments, and other/mandatory fees are provided to Alberta Student Aid and may be used when processing full-time post-secondary funding applications. The educational costs provided are based on a 100% full-course load and may not reflect current or all educational costs charged by the school. Contact the school to obtain accurate educational cost information.
Search Transfer Alberta for course and program transfer information including transfer agreements between post-secondary schools in Alberta, British Columbia, Northwest Territories, Nunavut and Yukon.
Transfer(s) available outside of Transfer Alberta: Not available
Updated September 08, 2017. The information contained in this profile is current as of the date shown.
Educational program information is provided as an introduction and for general reference. For current information about programs and school requirements or policies, check the school calendar, visit their website or contact the school directly.