Finishing high school? Thinking about post-secondary education? Find out how you can expand your career choices with these resources.
A post-secondary education can mean anything from skills training to apprenticeship, college or university. It can offer you:
- more job opportunities
- a better chance for promotion
- increased job satisfaction
- the chance to earn about $1 million more in income throughout your career
- the chance to keep studying what interests you
With so many post-secondary options available, it’s sometimes hard to decide what to choose. Career planning helps you identify your dreams, goals, interests and strengths and align them with your career choice. This makes it easier to choose a school and a program.
How Will You Decide What to Study?
Get the advice and resources you need to make your career choice:
- Talk to a school counsellor or teacher about your interests and goals.
- Talk to a career counsellor:
- Explore educational programs.
- Visit Learning Clicks to explore your options and discover how other students are forging their paths after high school.
- View success story videos to see what people just like you are doing after high school.
- See how teens are using their hobbies to launch careers and explore learning paths.
- See how teens are checking out potential occupations through volunteering, job shadowing and summer or part-time work.
- Check out Campus Alberta Student Reflections to hear youth talk about being students or apprentices at one of Alberta’s various post-secondary schools (There are 20 3-minute videos.)
- Check out Disabilities: High School Students with a Dream.
Deciding what to study can be challenging. Career planning can make it easier.