Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992

Student and teacher standing with welding gear in class.
Explore Education

“I'm a high school student interested in apprenticeship. What do I do?”


Get started by signing up for Alberta’s Registered Apprenticeship Program—RAP. You’ll earn credits for your high school diploma and for your journeyperson certificate at the same time. And you’ll get a head start on your career.

The Registered Apprenticeship Program lets you earn up to 40 high school credits while you work and earn wages. You can begin the RAP program in grade 10 or grade 11. You can choose to work for a semester, on weekends, during the summer, or part time during the school year.

The on-the-job experience you get through RAP gives you an inside look at your chosen trade—so you can decide if it’s right for you. And the hours you work count toward your apprenticeship program. When you finish high school, your RAP apprenticeship ends and you are automatically registered as a regular apprentice.

Follow these steps to launch your Registered Apprenticeship Program:

  1. Choose your trade. For more information, check out the apprenticeship occupational profiles on OCCinfo.
    • Talking to employers and people who work in your chosen trade can help you find out what it’s like.
  1. Find a sponsor. This is the person or organization responsible for supporting your training, reporting your on-the-job hours, and making sure you get quality, paid, on-the-job mentorship. The Apprenticeship Education Agreement you make with your sponsor is officially registered with Apprenticeship and Industry Training (AIT).
    • You don’t need a sponsor to register or take classes as an apprentice. However, you can’t begin working in your trade unless you have a sponsor.
  1. Find an employer who will hire and train you as a RAP apprentice. In most cases, your employer will also be your sponsor. Check out these resources to find a sponsor or employer:
  1. Apply online through MyTradesecrets. You’ll need an account to get started. You’ll need your social insurance number if you want to be automatically considered for scholarships and awards.
    • If it’s your first application, you’ll also need your Alberta Student Number (ASN). You can request your ASN online, get it from your school, or find it on an official document like a report card or school ID card.

For more information, talk to the RAP coordinator at your high school. You can also visit the nearest Apprenticeship and Industry Training office or call the toll-free information line at 1-800-248-4823.

Ask a Question

What would you like to know?

An alis staff member will review your question and respond via email. If it’s something that can help others look for work, explore careers, or succeed on the job, a version of your question and answer may even be added to the site.

Your privacy is important. If your question is published to alis, your identity will remain anonymous. Your email address and any other personally identifiable information will not be posted to the site.

If you require immediate assistance, please call the Alberta Supports Contact Centre at 1-877-644-9992.

Was this page useful?