Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992


Why Study in Alberta?

Alberta’s world-class research facilities, programs, and professors are making a difference in the lives of Albertans, Canadians, and the global community.

Learn about the province’s award-winning research and why more and more international students are choosing Alberta as their study destination.

Alberta Innovates
Find out how Alberta is taking outstanding research and ideas to the next level to meet the challenges faced by Albertans and people around the world.

Study in Alberta
Learn about Alberta’s post-secondary institutions and programs, tuition fees, ESL programs and employment opportunities.

Why study in Canada?

Canada is one of the most beautiful, safest, and friendliest countries in the world, with a world-class education system.

This resource for international students presents everything the Canadian education system has to offer, plus information on living in Canada, student visas, specific fields of study, links, and more.

Studying in Canada
This website provides useful information on studying in Canada such as the education system, living in Canada, job opportunities, plus a section on work and travel.

In this video, hear Ajack's story about coming to study in Canada:

Attending University in Canada (2:34)

Ajack is studying international relations at a Canadian university. Learn about his experience coming from Africa, the need to have his prior transcripts reviewed, and life as an international student.

Working while you study

Rules for international students

Your permit may not allow you to work if you are studying English or French as a second language or if you don’t have a social insurance number (SIN).

If you are in secondary school, you can work 20 hours off campus. If you are studying part time because you are completing the last session of your program, or you are a graduate student who has finished your degree requirements, you may work up to 20 hours per week.

If you are in a co-op or internship program, you may be allowed to work full time as long as your work program is 50% or less of your total program of study.

Rules for international post-grads

If you’re an international student who has recently completed a program of study that lasted at least 8 months in Canada, you may apply and qualify for a Post-Graduate Work Permit. It lets you work full time in Canada for a period after graduation to gain work experience.

To find out more about employment rules for international students, contact Immigration and Citizenship.

Resources for international students studying in Alberta

Learn more about applying and attending one of Alberta’s universities as an international student:

Additional resources

Was this page useful?