Exploring your learning and training options is a key part of career planning. The most important thing you need to know is why you want to take an education or training program.
Ask yourself these questions:
- Why am I suited for or interested in this program of study?
- Where do I see myself after finishing the program?
- Where do I see myself in the next 5 years?
If you know where you want the training to take you, it’s much easier to decide which program will get you there.
Think about which program and school will best fit the plans you have for your career.
- Living arrangements
- Full-time or part-time training paths, distance learning, apprenticeship, or training on the job
- The time it will take to finish the program
- How your learning or training will affect your life and the people in it
- The time it will take from your daily activities
- The job market after you graduate and what you will earn
Visit schools and ask questions about your chosen program and how to apply. Ask about the learning environment, services and supports, and extracurricular activity.
For more information, check out the steps to becoming a post-secondary student.