Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992

Engineering, Architecture, Science and Technology

Professional Technologist (Engineering or Geoscience)

Professional Technologists (Engineering) and Professional Technologists (Geoscience) are currently unique to Alberta. They practice independently according to established methodologies and specifications in engineering and geoscience. They have the authority to sign off and stamp work within a prescribed scope of practice.


Association of Science and Engineering Technology Professionals of Alberta (ASET)
1600 - 9888 Jasper Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta  T5J 5C6

Call: 780-425-0626
Toll-free in Alberta: 1-800-272-5619
Fax: 780-424-5053


Under Alberta’s Engineering and Geoscience Professions Act [pdf] and Professional Technologists Regulation [pdf], you must register as a Professional Technologist (Engineering or Geoscience) with the Association of Science and Engineering Technology Professionals of Alberta (ASET) to:

  • Practise engineering or geoscience within a prescribed scope of practice
  • Use the titles Professional Technologist (Engineering) or Professional Technologist (Geoscience)
  • Use the abbreviations P.Tech. (Eng.) or P.Tech. (Geo.)
What You Need

To register as a Professional Technologist (Engineering or Geoscience), you must have:

If your post-secondary education does not match your proposed area and scope of practice, the work experience requirement is different. You must have at least 10 years of engineering or geoscience work experience. Of those 10, at least 4 years must be under the supervision of an Alberta Professional Engineer or Professional Geoscientist.

Other requirements may include:

  • Successful completion of the ASET Certification Exam
  • Demonstration of proficiency in English
  • Proof of legal entitlement to work in Canada

For details about registration requirements, contact ASET or visit the ASET website.

Working in Alberta

Professional technologist designations from other jurisdictions are equivalent to the Certified Engineering Technologist designation in Alberta. To qualify for the Alberta professional technologist designation, individuals must complete other requirements.

For more information, see What if I am already certified in another province or territory in Canada? and the ASET website.

Was this page useful?