When you know yourself, you can plan your career and education based on what's important to you: your interests, abilities, values and experiences.
Bachelor of Social Work
Grant MacEwan Universitywww.macewan.ca
Program Type Bachelor's
Credential Type Degree
Length 4 Years
- Part Time Only
- Cooperative Education
- Continuing Education
- Distance Learning
CATEGORIES OF ADMISSION
Applicants may be admitted through the following:
- Regular Admission
In addition, all applicants must also meet the following admission criteria:
- English Language Proficiency
- Other Admission Criteria
To be evaluated through the Office of the University Registrar, applicants must have completed:
1. MacEwan University’s Social Work Diploma (or equivalent) with a minimum Admission Grade Point Average (AGPA) of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale.
2. 60 university-level credits with a minimum Admission Grade Point Average (AGPA) of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale, and must have completed the following courses:
- Three credits of university-level English
- SOWK 240: Introduction to Social Work And Social Welfare (or equivalent) with a minimum grade of C-
ADDITIONAL ADMISSION CRITERIA
English Language Proficiency
English Language Proficiency will be evaluated through the Office of the University Registrar.
All applicants must meet an acceptable level of English language proficiency. We will require official documents such as one of the following:
- High school transcripts
- Post-secondary transcripts
- Proof of successful completion of standardized language evaluation
Full details are available in MacEwan University’s academic calendar or online at www.macewan.ca/elp.
Other Admission Criteria
To be evaluated through the Program, applicants are required to submit the following to be assessed by faculty from the School of Social Work:
- Personal/professional profile and essay
- Evidence of a minimum 70 hours social service volunteer or work experience within the last two years
- Two letters of reference:
- Social Work diploma applicants: one reference from the Social Work program, and one reference from the applicant’s most recent field placement agency supervisor or employer if working in the social work field.
- All other applicants: one reference from a social service volunteer or work experience, and one academic reference (preferred) or a general reference if it is not possible to provide an academic reference.
Applicants offered admission are required to submit the following:
- A clear Police Information Check (or equivalent from another policing agency) that includes a Vulnerable Sector Search. The Police Information Check must be submitted by the published document deadline and have been issued within three months of the start of the program intake term.
- An Alberta Intervention Record Check (or equivalent from another province/territory). The Intervention Record Check must be submitted by the published document deadline.
Search Transfer Alberta for course and program transfer information including transfer agreements between post-secondary schools in Alberta, British Columbia, Northwest Territories, Nunavut and Yukon.
Transfer(s) available outside of Transfer Alberta: Not available
Updated August 23, 2018. The information contained in this profile is current as of the date shown.
Educational program information is provided as an introduction and for general reference. For current information about programs and school requirements or policies, check the school calendar, visit their website or contact the school directly.
The Government of Alberta is working in partnership with the Government of Canada to provide employment support programs and services.