When you know yourself, you can plan your career and education based on what's important to you: your interests, abilities, values and experiences.
Bachelor of Social Work
Grant MacEwan Universitywww.macewan.ca
Program Type Bachelors
Credential Type Degree
Length 4 Years
- Part Time Only
- Cooperative Education
- Continuing Education
- Distance Learning
CATEGORIES OF ADMISSION
Applicants may be admitted through the following:
- Regular Admission
- English Language Proficiency
- Other Admission Criteria
To be evaluated through the Office of the University Registrar, applicants must have completed:
1. a) MacEwan University’s Social Work Diploma (or equivalent) with a minimum AGPA (Admission Grade Point Average!span>) of 2.5.
b) 60 University level credits with a minimum AGPA of 2.5 and must have completed the following courses:
- ENGL 102 and ENGL 103 (or equivalent) with a minimum grade of C-.
- SOWK 240: Introduction to Social Work and Social Welfare (or equivalent) with a minimum grade of C-.
ADDITIONAL ADMISSION CRITERIA
English Language Proficiency
English Language Proficiency will be evaluated through the Office of the University Registrar.
All applicants must meet an acceptable level of English language proficiency. We will require official documents such as one of the following:
- High school transcripts
- Post-secondary transcripts
- Proof of successful completion of standardized language evaluation
Full details are available in MacEwan University’s academic calendar or online at MacEwan.ca/ELP.
Other Admission Criteria
Other Admission Criteria will be evaluated through the Program.
Applicants are required to submit the following to be assessed by faculty from the School of Social Work:
- A resume and personal/professional profile.
- Evidence of a minimum 70 hours of relevant volunteer/work experience within the last two years.
Except for applicants presenting the MacEwan University Social Work diploma, reference letters are required.
Social Work diploma holders from Alberta institutions other than MacEwan are required to submit two letters of reference:
- One from the Social Work program, and
- One from the applicant’s most recent field agency supervisor or related employment, if working in the field.
All other applicants are required to submit the following three letters of reference:
- One from a related volunteer or work experience,
- One academic reference, and
- One additional reference.
Applicants offered admission are required to submit the following:
- A clear Police Information Check (or equivalent from another policing agency) that includes a Vulnerable Sector Search. The Police Information Check must be submitted by the published document deadline and have been issued within three months of the start of the program intake term.
- An Alberta Children’s Services Intervention form.
Search Transfer Alberta for course and program transfer information including transfer agreements between post-secondary schools in Alberta, British Columbia, Northwest Territories, Nunavut and Yukon.
Transfer(s) available outside of Transfer Alberta: Not available
Updated September 20, 2017. The information contained in this profile is current as of the date shown.
Educational program information is provided as an introduction and for general reference. For current information about programs and school requirements or policies, check the school calendar, visit their website or contact the school directly.