Culinary Arts Diploma
The Portage College Culinary Arts Diploma program provides all the professional skills and knowledge that is needed in growing food service industry. The program gives graduates a solid foundation in international and regional foods. Student will have courses in culinary management, nutrition, and an introduction to food processing. Student will learn in a state of art kitchen in Portage College Food Sciences Centre. There will be a 3 week practicum in one of our program sponsored placement facilities. The program will receive National Food Safety Training, WHIMS Training, and First Aid Training. Students will be able to write first and second period apprenticeship in cook exams after the first year. Students graduating the program will be able to write the third period apprenticeship in cook exam.
Program Type Occupational
Credential Type Diploma
Length 2 Years
- Part Time Only
- Cooperative Education
- Continuing Education
- Distance Learning
The Culinary Arts Diploma program provides all the specialized skills and knowledge you need to succeed in the growing food services industry. Our program will give you a solid foundation in international and regional foods as well as courses in culinary management, nutrition, and even an introduction to food processing. You will have the unique opportunity of working alongside entrepreneurs, enabling you to find out how they succeeded in the industry.
When you enroll in our program you will be training in a brand new fabulous state of the art kitchen in the Food Science Centre. We believe our program is the right choice for you because in addition to equipping you to write your 1st and 2nd period Apprenticeship after your first year of study you will be ready to write your 3rd period by the time you graduate with your Culinary Arts Diploma and that's not all, on top of this you will gain experience by participating in a three week practicum.
Must have the following:
- English 10-2
- Math 10-3 or
- Entrance Exam (CAAT-C) or
- GED (pass mark in all five tests)
- Alberta High School Diploma with: English 30-2
- Math 30-3
- Physics 20 or Chemistry 20 or Science 20
- Related career and technology studies courses
- Consultation with Instructor
- Recommend that students register as apprentices
This program is eligible for full-time post-secondary assistance by Student Aid Alberta for the funding year 2017/08/01 to 2018/07/31*.
Tuition $3,990.00 Year One
Books/Supplies/Instruments $1,563.00 Year One
Mandatory Fees $1,006.00 Year One
* Tuition, books, supplies, instruments, and other/mandatory fees are provided to Student Aid Alberta and may be used when processing full-time post-secondary funding applications. The educational costs provided are based on a 100% full-course load and may not reflect current or all educational costs charged by the school. Contact the school to obtain accurate educational cost information.
Transfer(s) available outside of Transfer Alberta: Not available
Updated June 19, 2015. The information contained in this profile is current as of the date shown.
The Government of Alberta is working in partnership with the Government of Canada to provide employment support programs and services.