When you know yourself, you can plan your career and education based on what's important to you: your interests, abilities, values and experiences.
There was an error. Please try again.
This page is already listed in your guide. Please choose a different page to add.
Residential Home Inspection Home Inspection
Southern Alberta Institute of Technologywww.sait.ca
Launch a rewarding career as a home inspector, bringing peace of mind to home buyers and sellers who depend on your impartial appraisal.
In partnership with Carson Dunlop & Associates, SAIT is offering a 10-course training program that provides the technical skills and expertise to conduct visual exams of residential building areas and prepare written reports on the physical and operational condition of homes and housing units. Students will develop practical communication skills and knowledge of professional conduct and industry standards of practice to become successful home inspectors in this growing industry.
SAIT is an approved educational provider of home inspection training. This Certificate provides the requisite education to apply for a Home Inspector license through the Government of Alberta.
Upon successful completion of this program, you will be able to:
- Describe the leading systems and components of a house or housing unit, including roofing, structure, electrical, heating, air conditioning/heat pumps, plumbing, interiors and exteriors.
- Understand the function and operational principles of the systems and components in a residential housing unit.
- Identify common problems, failure modes and the life expectancies of various systems.
- Understand why problems occur and the implications when system malfunctions or breaks down.
- Perform requisite home inspection activities and operational tests to meet industry standards of practice.
- Describe the home inspection process, communicate inspection findings to the client, and prepare a written report.
This comprehensive, easy-to-follow online program is designed for self-paced learning. Students have 16 weeks to complete each course and can register in multiple courses at one time. During each course, you will receive:
- Access to a personalized online training portal
- Reading materials with colour illustrations and photos
- Videos, real-world case studies and interactive field exercises
- Live webinars and short quizzes to check your progress
- Inspection procedures and practical field exercises
- Tutors to help you when you need it
- Carson Dunlop's Apprenticeship App Insight
- Free use of Carson Dunlop's Horizon Reporting Software
Professional designation and certifications
A Certificate of Achievement is awarded to students by SAIT upon the successful completion of this program. This Certificate can also be used as proof of education to apply for a Home Inspector license through the Government of Alberta.
Licensed Home Inspectors have a range of career options, including running an independent business, owning a franchise or working for a large inspection company. As an independent Home Inspector you could earn an average income of $70K to $90K per year, depending on how many inspections you perform per year. Besides becoming a licensed Home Inspector, individuals working in the Real Estate market, Property Managers and individuals who own significant real estate and/or rental property have taken this certificate.
Office of the Registrar
1301 16 Avenue NW
Calgary, Alberta, T2M0L4, Canada
Program Type Occupational
Credential Type Non-Credential *
Length 1 Year(s)
- Part Time Only
- Cooperative Education
- Continuing Education Only
- Distance Learning Only
* Certificate of Achievement
There are no entrance requirements for this program. You can begin registering for courses anytime by clicking a course name or calling 1.403.284.7051. Successfully complete at least 1 of the courses, then declare your intention to complete this certificate by clicking on the Apply Now button on the program page. You will be notified of acceptance and given further direction regarding the completion of this Certificate.
All courses are available by distance delivery.
Search Transfer Alberta for course and program transfer information including transfer agreements between post-secondary schools in Alberta, British Columbia, Northwest Territories, Nunavut and Yukon.
Transfer(s) available outside of Transfer Alberta: Not available
Updated August 09, 2022. The information contained in this profile is current as of the date shown.
Educational program information is provided as an introduction and for general reference. For current information about programs and school requirements or policies, check the school calendar, visit their website or contact the school directly.
The Government of Alberta is working in partnership with the Government of Canada to provide employment support programs and services.