When you know yourself, you can plan your career and education based on what's important to you: your interests, abilities, values and experiences.
Residential Home Inspection Home Inspection
Southern Alberta Institute of Technologywww.sait.ca
Launch a rewarding career as a home inspector, bringing peace of mind to home buyers and sellers who depend on your impartial appraisal.
In partnership with Carson Dunlop & Associates, SAIT is offering a 10-course training program that provides the technical skills and expertise to conduct visual exams of residential building areas and prepare written reports on the physical and operational condition of homes and housing units. Students will develop practical communication skills and knowledge of professional conduct and industry standards of practice to become successful home inspectors in this growing industry.
SAIT is an approved educational provider of home inspection training. This Certificate provides the requisite education to apply for a Home Inspector license through the Government of Alberta.
Upon successful completion of this program, you will be able to:
- Describe the leading systems and components of a house or housing unit, including roofing, structure, electrical, heating, air conditioning/heat pumps, plumbing, interiors and exteriors.
- Understand the function and operational principles of the systems and components in a residential housing unit.
- Identify common problems, failure modes and the life expectancies of various systems.
- Understand why problems occur, and the implications when system malfunctions or breaks down.
- Perform requisite home inspection activities and operational tests to meet industry standards of practice.
- Describe the home inspection process, communicate inspection findings to the client, and prepare a written report.
This comprehensive, easy-to-follow online program is designed for self-paced learning. Students have 16 weeks to complete each course and can register in multiple courses at one time. During each course, you will receive:
- Access to a personalized online training portal
- Reading materials with colour illustrations and photos
- Videos, real-world case studies and interactive field exercises
- Live webinars and short quizzes to check your progress
- Inspection procedures and practical field exercises
- Tutors to help you when you need it
- Carson Dunlop's Apprenticeship App Insight
- Free use of Carson Dunlop's Horizon Reporting Software
Licensed Home Inspectors have a range of career options, including running an independent business, owning a franchise or working for a large inspection company.
Professional designation and certifications
A Certificate of Achievement is awarded to students by SAIT upon the successful completion of this program. This Certificate can also be used as proof of education to apply for a Home Inspector license through the Government of Alberta.
Program Type Occupational
Credential Type Non-Credential *
Length 1 Year(s)
- Part Time Only
- Cooperative Education
- Continuing Education Only
- Distance Learning Only
* Certificate of Achievement
There are no requirements for admission. However, registration for all non-credit courses and certificate programs require a student account.
If you need a new student account:
- Go to the student login page
- Create an account as a new user*
To register for a continuing education course or certificate program of your choice:
- Log into your student account as an existing user from the student login page
- Go to the course or certificate program’s page and add it to your shopping cart**
- Click on the shopping cart icon and fill out the required registration form
- Make your payment to complete the registration
*Once you've set up your student account, you can log in as an existing user to make purchases, such as registering for courses and programs. Your account also provides access to your student profile, including enrolment history and course schedule. You'll receive further instructions on how to access mySAIT and Brightspace (D2L), as well as a Student ID number.
**If you are working toward a certificate, you must apply from the certificate program page. Your student record will be updated making it easier to monitor your progress, check your graduation requirements or transfer credits in the future. At the time of certificate completion, we will automatically audit your courses to ensure all requirements have been met.
All courses are available by distance delivery.
Search Transfer Alberta for course and program transfer information including transfer agreements between post-secondary schools in Alberta, British Columbia, Northwest Territories, Nunavut and Yukon.
Transfer(s) available outside of Transfer Alberta: Not available
Updated July 29, 2021. The information contained in this profile is current as of the date shown.
Educational program information is provided as an introduction and for general reference. For current information about programs and school requirements or policies, check the school calendar, visit their website or contact the school directly.
The Government of Alberta is working in partnership with the Government of Canada to provide employment support programs and services.