Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992

Find This Program At Other Schools
Program Information
Schools Offering this Program
  • All
  • A
  • B
  • C
  • D
  • E
  • F
  • G
  • H
  • I
  • J
  • K
  • L
  • M
  • N
  • O
  • P
  • Q
  • R
  • S
  • T
  • U
  • V
  • W
  • X
  • Y
  • Z

UT: Bachelor of Arts

Northwestern Polytechnic

Northwestern Polytechnic
Arts students at Northwestern Polytechnic choose from a wide selection of majors and study with highly qualified faculty. The small class environment provides an excellent foundation for a choice of transfer options to a four-year institution, such as the University of Alberta. Many students with one to two years of course work in University Transfer, Arts at Northwestern Polytechnic have successfully transferred to universities both within the province and throughout Canada. Students wishing to begin their arts program at Northwestern Polytechnic and then transfer to an institution other than the University of Alberta are encouraged to consult with an Academic Advisor who can assist them with course selection and with the interpretation of university requirements. The Bachelor of Arts degree at the University of Alberta is 120 credits of course work that includes common requirements, and a major subject of concentration. No minor is required, but students may declare a second major and/or one or more minors. The University of Alberta requires, as do most other degree-granting institutions, that students complete at least half (60 credits) of degree requirements in courses offered through the University of Alberta, and that (normally) these will be the final (senior) courses in the program. This is called the Residency Requirement. Normally, no more than 48 credits at the junior level (courses usually transferring to the University of Alberta at the 100 level) may be taken for degree credit. Students will not be permitted to take junior courses in the fourth year (last 30 credits) of the program; and they normally take junior level courses only in the first year of the program. To complete this 120-credit degree in four years requires the completion of five courses per semester, over two semesters each year, or 30 credits per year for four years. Students may extend this program over a longer period of time or complete some course work during Spring and Summer Sessions at the University of Alberta and Northwestern Polytechnic. The University of Alberta will accept applications from a transfer student upon completion of a minimum of 24 university transferable credits.

Office of the Registrar
10726 - 106 Avenue
Grande Prairie, Alberta, T8V 4C4, Canada

Apply Now
  • Program Type University Transfer
  • Credential Type Non-Credential
  • Length 2 Years
  • Part Time Only
  • Cooperative Education
  • Continuing Education
  • Distance Learning
Admission Requirements
Require the following high school courses or equivalents: English 30-1 (min. 60 per cent), one subject from Group A or C, one subject from Group A or B, one subject from Group C (Biology 30 recommended), one subject from Group A, C, D or Phys. Ed. 30. Not more than one language other than English will be accepted. For course groups, please refer to the Classification of Alberta Learning courses.

Transfer(s) Eligibility

Search Transfer Alberta for course and program transfer information including transfer agreements between post-secondary schools in Alberta, British Columbia, Northwest Territories, Nunavut and Yukon.

Transfer(s) available outside of Transfer Alberta: Not available

Updated May 24, 2024. The information contained in this profile is current as of the date shown.

Educational program information is provided as an introduction and for general reference. For current information about programs and school requirements or policies, check the school calendar, visit their website or contact the school directly.
The Government of Alberta is working in partnership with the Government of Canada to provide employment support programs and services.

Was this page useful?