Starting a career or thinking of a new line of work? Find up-to-date information on occupations that interest you, from what you'll do to what you'll earn.
Learning about occupations will help you make good decisions and take the right actions in your career or job search.
What is an occupation? How does it differ from a job or a career?
An occupation is a specific category of work. It can include many different jobs. For example, “food and beverage server” is an occupation. It includes jobs such as waiter and busser.
A job is a position that has specific duties.
A career is the overall path of a person’s work-related activities. A career includes your learning experiences, jobs and education.
What can I learn about occupations?
You can find information about:
- the type of work that suits you
- what your day-to-day work might be like
- what you might like about the work
- what training or education you’ll need
- what your future job opportunities are
- where to search for a specific job in related industries
- what salaries and wages are like
- which companies or industries are hiring
- what it’s like to work for specific companies or industries
Where can I find more information?
Are you wondering what type of work you might like? Dig deeper to learn more: visit OCCinfo. It is one of the best resources of its kind in the world. You can learn about more than 550 occupations on OCCinfo.
For easier reading, try our Easy Reading Profiles. They give adults with low literacy information on 24 jobs.
What is it really like to work in that job?
To learn first-hand about a job:
- Talk with people who are already in that line of work.
- Job shadow.
- Find a mentor.
- Try a work experience program.
- Ask questions to learn about specific duties and responsibilities and see if the job suits you.
You can also view about 140 video clips about real people in real jobs. Each clip is 5 to 7 minutes long.
What certification or registration do I need to work in Alberta?
Go to OCCinfo to find out more about certification requirements.
What can I expect to earn?
OCCinfo has wage and salary information. You can search by the name of the job. You can even sort the search results by “Average Wage.”
What’s really happening in Alberta’s job market and industries?
Go to OCCinfo to learn about trends affecting Alberta jobs and industries. You can also check out company and industry information.
Where can I learn about jobs in specific industries?
Try these sources: