A positive attitude will not only help you to find a good job but also help you hold on to your work in a competitive market.
Many employers say a positive attitude is one of the personal traits they value most highly in their employees.
When you have a positive outlook, you work more effectively. Co–workers view you as a valuable team member and you increase your own level of satisfaction and success.
If you’re currently looking for work, take some time to examine your attitudes and beliefs about work search. You might believe it’s just a matter of time before you connect with the right employer. On the other hand, you may be letting your worries about finding a job stress you out. Believing in yourself and your abilities will keep you energized for the hard work of looking for work. A positive attitude can make all the difference in a job interview.
The way you approach your work will help you hang on to it. Check out this exercise to identify the positive attitudes employers value.
Follow these suggestions:
- Do your best. Do each task well the first time.
- Focus on work when you’re at work. Use breaks to check in with your social and personal life.
- Be a committed team player.
- Lend a hand when your co–workers need help. Do what needs to be done, whether or not it’s “your job.”
- Ask for help when you need it.
- Make every effort to add to a respectful, co–operative working environment. Avoid gossip and negativity.
Have a positive attitude to get and keep the work you want
In a competitive market, employers want to hire and hang on to workers with an optimistic outlook and a can–do approach. Whether you're searching for work or hoping to keep the job you have, your positive attitude can give you the edge in the hiring process and earn you the right kind of attention on the job.