There was an error. Please try again.
This page is already listed in your guide. Please choose a different page to add.
Career Options Research
Make Choices About Work and Life
Life is full of choices and decisions to be made. Whether you're considering planning your career, changing jobs, upgrading your skills, or trying to balance work with the needs of your family, these articles will help you see your options, make a decision, set goals, and complete the tasks that will lead you closer to your vision for your life.
Looking at Challenges and Opportunities
There are thousands of career options. This is both a challenge and an opportunity.
The Challenge: Explore career options without feeling overwhelmed.
The Opportunity: Explore career options you may not have thought about.
Here's how to manage the challenge and make the most of the opportunity:
- Know your interests, abilities, work values, skills, traits, preferred working conditions and multiple intelligences. If you aren't sure what these are, check out Know Yourself.
- Focus on 1 occupation and explore all aspects of it. Choose an occupation from My Favourite Occupations in My Career Plan. If you still haven't chosen an occupation in your Career Plan, check out the Interests Exercise and Abilities Exercise.
- Browse to see what occupations grab your interest.
By exploring your options you can find out:
- What people do on the job
- What the working conditions are (hours of work, shift work, indoor, outdoor, seasonal)
- What the training or educational requirements are
- Which skills people need to do the job
- What the employment outlook is
- What typical career paths are available