If you counsel or help adults with low literacy skills or English language skills about career planning, these resources can help.
Our Easy Reading Career Planning Series is designed for adults reading at a Grade 2 to 3 level. You’ll find information about career planning, job profiles, English-language tools, and work topics. Many of these resources come with advisor guides with background information, tips, and more resources. Check them out here:
- Work and You Book 1: Make Some Job Choices. This workbook uses stories and exercises to help adults with low literacy choose an occupational (job) goal. They will do a brief self-assessment, learn about different jobs, and create a list of 1 to 3 jobs to investigate.
- Work and You Book 2: Decide on a Job. In this workbook, adults with low literacy research and evaluate the short list of jobs they created in Work and You Book 1. In the end they will choose an occupational goal to pursue.
- Work and You: Help for Career Advisors. Learn about the Work and You books and how to use them with your clients. Includes learning outcomes and strategies, a list of additional occupations, and other helpful resources.
Occupations in Alberta
Need help finding a job that fits who you are? You’ve come to the right place—you’ll find more than 550 occupations to choose from. Learn what subjects you’ll need to take and whether your personality suits the job. Discover how much you can earn and what your duties will be. It is your path to plan. Get started now.
- Easy Reading Job Profiles. These 23 profiles are adapted from existing OCCinfo profiles. They've been selected, written and formatted for adults with low literacy.
- Easy Reading Job Profiles: Help for Career Advisors. Learn about the Easy Reading Job Profiles and how to use them with your clients. Includes a quick reference chart to help you quickly find similar jobs, related career videos, and OCCinfo profiles for each Easy Reading Job Profile.
- Job Profiles by Occupational Cluster [pdf]. Profiles are grouped into 8 occupational clusters developed for the Easy Reading Job Profiles. Use it to help your clients find related occupations.
- Easy Reading Dictionary. The dictionary includes difficult words found in the job profiles. You can guide your clients through the dictionary online.
- Easy Reading Binder Cover and Spine [pdf]. Use this printable cover and spine to store all of the Easy Reading products in one package.
These advisor guides provide support for the related publications with easy-to-read information on workplace and work search topics. Each advisor guide includes strategies, additional information, exercises, and activities to help advisors support their clients.
- Easy Reading Be Safe at Work. The Teaching Notes provide answers to questions from the main publication, plus exercises and activities to help clients learn to stay safe and healthy at work.
- Easy Reading Find a Job: Help for Career Advisors. This guide includes objectives, strategies and more to help advisors support their clients in finding the job they want.
- Easy Reading Keep Your Job: Help for Career Advisors. This guide provides information and resource links to help advisors support their clients in maintaining their employment.
- Easy Reading Training for Work: Help for Career Advisors. This guide provides additional information and resource links to help advisors support clients in finding the right type of training to succeed in work.
- Easy Reading Work Laws and Your Pay Stub: Help for Advisors. This guide provides information and resource links to help advisors support their clients with understanding basic financial matters related to their work pay.