As an employer, you know that hiring workers with foreign credentials can be a good business decision. Diversity in the workplace can bring creative problem solving and new ways of looking at your work. But how do you assess educational credentials earned outside of Canada?
How can you decide whether a job applicant is qualified and be confident in your decision?
The International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS) can help. Part of the Government of Alberta, IQAS assesses an individual’s international educational credentials and provides a fair comparison to Canadian educational standards.
What is an IQAS assessment?
An IQAS assessment of an applicant’s educational credentials consists of a detailed review to determine:
- whether the educational institution issuing the credential meets IQAS criteria for recognition
- whether an applicant’s documents from the educational institution are authentic or have been altered in any way
- what type of program or specialized area of study each credential is associated with, as well as a comparable Canadian educational standard.
The applicant pays the cost of the assessment and provides the assessment to his or her potential employer.
How does IQAS assess foreign credentials?
Foreign Qualification Recognition
Foreign qualification recognition is the process of verifying that the education, skills and experience obtained in another country meet the standards established for Canadian workers. It is a complex issue involving various stakeholder groups.
Employers rely on expert and detailed IQAS assessments to evaluate the qualifications of job applicants whose educational credentials were obtained outside Canada. The assessments are completed by experienced, expert assessors who:
- use recognized national and international standards of practice for assessing foreign credentials
- have assessed more than 110,000 international educational credentials from 182 different countries
- are fully trained in international credential evaluation
- are competent in more than 15 languages
- have access to a worldwide network of similar organizations as well as foreign educational databases and an in-house library with more than 3,000 reference materials.
How can employers use IQAS assessments?
You can use IQAS assessments for:
- Rapid screening of applicants. The assessments provide straightforward information so you can quickly determine whether applicants with IQAS assessments match your hiring needs, as well as confirm the authenticity of their credentials.
- Making better hiring decisions. The assessments give you the information you need to ask follow-up questions about an applicant’s program and area of specialization.
Employers who use IQAS as part of their screening and hiring processes can provide a link to IQAS on their website to encourage job applicants to apply for IQAS assessment certificates.
You can also benefit from other IQAS resources:
- Your potential new hire can submit an application to IQAS and provide a copy of a job offer to have the assessment fast-tracked. If you have urgent inquiries or need a fast-track procedure due to immediate recruitment requirements, you can contact IQAS at 780‑427‑2655.
- Call toll-free from anywhere in Alberta by dialing 310-0000 before the number.
- International Education Overview Guides. Use these quick online guides to independently compare educational credentials earned outside of Canada to corresponding Canadian standards. The guides are currently available for 12 different countries.
Take advantage of IQAS
Join the many employers who rely on IQAS assessments to help them compete in the global labour market. Use IQAS assessments to help you make informed and confident hiring decisions about skilled workers who obtained their education outside of Canada.