Casting directors need to possess:
- flexibility and adaptability
- the ability to work long hours in fast-paced, varied environments
- excellent communication skills, both in person and in writing
- excellent interpersonal skills
- the ability to recognize strong performances.
They should enjoy compiling information from scripts and signalling cues, taking charge of situations, and negotiating. People skills are essential; casting directors must be able to recognize the acting potential and ability in individuals during auditions.