Below-average occupational growth is expected in Alberta for 2016 to 2020. Job openings are a result of employment turnover and newly created positions.
Engineering design and drafting technologists are employed by:
- machine design firms
- engineering consulting firms
- municipal, provincial and federal government departments
- construction, manufacturing and assembly companies
- companies in the petrochemical, food processing, pulp and paper, and energy industries
- electronic manufacturing companies
- concrete, steel, timber and precast companies.
Experienced technologists may advance to supervisory and management positions, or establish their own design and drafting companies. There are international employment opportunities with engineering consulting firms operating outside of Canada.
Engineering design and drafting technologists are part of the larger 2011 National Occupational Classification 2253: Drafting technologists and technicians. In Alberta, 78% of people employed in this classification work in the following industries:
The employment outlook in this occupation will be influenced by a wide variety of factors including:
- trends and events affecting overall employment (especially in the industries listed above)
- location in Alberta
- employment turnover (work opportunities generated by people leaving existing positions)
- occupational growth (work opportunities resulting from the creation of new positions that never existed before)
- size of the occupation.
Over 9,300 Albertans are employed in the Drafting technologists and technicians occupational group. This group is expected to have a below-average annual growth of 1.5% from 2016 to 2020. As a result, 140 new positions are forecast to be created each year, in addition to job openings created by employment turnover. Note: As engineering design and drafting technologists form only a part of this larger occupational group, only some of these newly created positions will be for engineering design and drafting technologists.
Employment turnover is expected to increase as members of the baby boom generation retire over the next few years.