Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992


The COVID-19 pandemic has impacted legislation and services. Information on this website may not reflect the current situation in Alberta. Please visit for up-to-date information about these impacts.

Youth having a discussion about a booklet outside

Youth: How to Get Supports If You Have a Disability

If you are a youth with a disability, your supports change when you turn 18. Find out about the supports and services you can get as an adult.

Jump to:

Try to get your disability documented before you turn 18. That means it has been diagnosed and recorded. You may qualify for programs and supports. To get this done:

  • See a doctor
  • Contact one of the support agencies listed in this article

Some agencies may be able to help you get other support as you turn 18.

If you’ve been in care of children’s services

You may be able to get support and resources:

  • Call your caseworker.
  • Don’t remember your caseworker’s name? Call the office where you used to go.
  • Live in a different town or region? Find your local office.

If you need fetal alcohol spectrum disorder (FASD) resources

Fetal alcohol spectrum disorder (FASD) describes a range of issues. These may include physical birth defects and health problems. Contact a support agency that can help you:

If you need resources for persons with developmental disabilities

A developmental disability begins in childhood. It limits your ability to think and adapt to situations. The most common forms include Down’s syndrome, cerebral palsy, FASD and autism. If this affects you, contact a support agency that can help:

If you are severely handicapped

Assured Income for the Severely Handicapped (AISH) offers help to adults with disabilities. The disability must be permanent and limit your ability to earn a living.

If you’ve been in care, you may be able to get support and resources that will help you as you become an adult. Now is a good time to ask your caseworker.

Find more resources

Check out:

Was this page useful?