Want to turn your dream/image/vision for your future into a reality? Then start setting some goals.
Try writing a goal statement. Here is an example:
I will raise my chemistry and math marks by 10% this semester so I can meet the entrance requirements for the college program I want to take.
I will ____________________________________________________
Take these steps to reach your goals:
Identify your assets—the people and things that will help you reach your goal.Examples:
- My teachers who have offered to help me
- My friend Cory who is good at math and chemistry, and will help me
- My positive attitude
- Focused on my goal
My assets: _______________________________
Look at the barriers between you and your goal.Examples:
- I don’t have enough time to do my homework.
- I work three 6-hour shifts a week.
- I don’t always understand the concepts in chemistry and math.
The barriers: _____________________________
Brainstorm around the barriers.Examples:
- I could help my concentration by doing homework in my room rather than in front of the TV.
- I could spend less time on social media.
- I could offer to take the Sunday morning shift that no one wants, in order to make it easier to get one less shift a week?
- I could meet with each of my teachers 1 noon hour a week.
Brainstorm ideas: _________________________
Make an action plan.Examples:
- I will study at my desk in my room.
- I will give myself a half-hour online before I do my homework and I’ ll stick to it.
- I will ask my supervisor if I can work one less shift a week.
- I will meet with each teacher once a week.
My action plan: ___________________________
Share your goals and your action plan with your Board of Directors, friends, and family and ask them to help you reach your goals.