Check out this Worker Orientation Health and Safety Checklist. Find out what your employer should discuss with you when you start a new job.
Alberta has laws to protect your health and safety at work. Here are some examples:
- It's against the law for anyone to force you to do work you think is unsafe.
- It's against the law for an employer to run an unsafe business.
- You have a right to work in a safe and healthy work space.
- Your supervisor must tell you about the hazards of your job before you start a new job.
- Your employer, supervisor or co–worker must keep in touch with you regularly if you work alone.
Before you start a new job, your employer should go over health and safety issues with you. Once your employer has answered all your questions, you can both sign the checklist. This signed checklist can act as proof that you have received proper health and safety orientation.
Make sure you have a complete answer to all your health and safety questions before you sign this checklist or any similar form.
OHS law says you must work safely and co-operate with your employer by following health and safety rules. Success at work starts with knowing—and following—the laws that will keep you safe and healthy in your workplace.