If you're working now, how is your job a gateway job? If you're looking for work, what gateway job could you look for?
A gateway job:
- Is an entry-level job that requires little experience or training
- Is a way to explore a sector
- Is a way to develop skills specific to a sector
- Is a way to develop skills that transfer across sectors
Working as a bus person in a restaurant is a typical gateway job. If you had this job, you could use it as an opportunity to:
- Learn how to manage your time and duties successfully.
- Practise and improve your communication skills.
- Learn about and practise customer service.
- Observe servers and their work.
- Observe chefs and their work.
- Learn about the restaurant business.
- Learn about the hospitality sector and so on …
Use a gateway job to your advantage
Even if you:
- Haven’t made career path decisions
- Have no idea what kind of occupation you’d like to work in
- Are looking for a job because you need the money