Skip to the main content
This website uses cookies to give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information
Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Toll Free 1-877-644-9992

Guest Account Sign In Sign Up

Youth: Taking Care of Basic Needs on Your Own

Will you soon be 18 and living on your own? Were you once in care of children’s services? Use this quick guide to figure out how to meet your basic needs.

When you turn 18, you’ll be considered an adult. Your resources and supports will change. But you’ll still need a place to live and money for food and other necessities. These are your basic, everyday needs. You’ll also need to know how to access health care.

Figure out how you will meet your basic needs

Do you have children’s services status or are you in care now? Then your caseworker will be working with you on a transition plan. The plan will help you find resources to take care of your everyday needs.

Were you once in care of children’s services or receiving services? Then you may still qualify for supports to cover your basic living expenses as you become independent. To find out:

  • Call your caseworker.
  • If you don’t remember your caseworker’s name, call the  office  where you used to go.
  • If you are living in a different town or region, call a local  office.

What if you don’t qualify for support from family or children’s services and are unable to cover your daily living costs? Check out the following resources. They can help you make your transition to independent living:

Take care of your health

To be independent, you need to take care of your day-to-day health and get help for new health problems as they arise.

For most health services, you’ll need an Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) Card. Find out how to apply.

You should also know how to connect with a health care provider:

Substance abuse

For help with substance abuse issues and support for making change, check this province-wide directory for addiction services in your community.

Sexual health

For information and support with sexual health, including birth control and pregnancy tests, contact a clinic in your community:

Testing and treatment for STIs

For help with sexually transmitted infections (STIs), contact one of the following resources:

Mental health

Get immediate help and support for issues such as depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder and trauma:

Was this page useful?