Oil pipeline control centre operators need:
- Mental alertness
- The ability to be precise and pay attention to detail
- The ability to take charge of and handle high-pressure situations
- A safety-conscious attitude
- Communication and problem-solving skills
- Colour vision to interpret colour computer graphics
- Ability to work as a team member
- Multitasking skills
In an emergency, they must be able to assess the situation and respond to it quickly and correctly. The safety of a number of people and the efficient operation of the pipeline system often depend on their good judgment.
Operators should enjoy controlling equipment, instruments, and machinery. They should be comfortable analyzing information to solve problems. They should like working with others.