Are you an Indigenous youth making the transition to independence? Have you been in care? Check out these links to resources that can help you.
If you’re a First Nations, Métis or Inuit youth, you’ll find resources and support for your transition to independence on this page.
A good place to start is Indigenous Peoples, where you’ll find links to a wide range of resources, information and services from across the province.
If you’re living in Calgary or Edmonton, check out these programs for Indigenous youth:
- Aboriginal Youth Outreach Program: John Howard Society: counselling and help with housing and employment to age 24—403-536-4328
- Urban Society for Aboriginal Youth: programs and online resources about culture, career and employment—403-233-8225
- Ben Calf Robe Society: education and cultural programs—780-477-6648
- Bent Arrow Traditional Healing Society: Youth: culture, career and job preparation to age 25—780-481-3451
If you’ve been in care, you may eligible for support and resources that will help you become independent. This may be a good time to think about getting in touch with your caseworker.
Contact your caseworker through:
- the office where you used to go, if you don’t remember your caseworker’s name
- a local office if you’re living in a different town or region